Academic advising is an interactive process that connects students with a knowledgeable faculty or staff member who can help them make informed educational decisions. Students who have received effective academic advising will understand the courses required to complete a degree, develop a personal plan to be successful in these courses, and be prepared to register for courses appropriate to their skill levels and educational goals. New students learn about the advising process prior to registration at a ConnectSession (student orientation). Returning admitted students will connect with their assigned program academic advisor. Visiting students are advised during general registration in the Advising Services office. All students are required to meet with an advisor in order to have their individualized academic plan approved prior to registration. Detailed instructions are provided in the advising procedure. View the Advising section of the website for more information.


Upcoming course schedules are available in the Courses section of the College website. Each semester, returning admitted program students may register during priority registration using Self-Service, the College’s student academic planning system. New and visiting students will register during general registration. Prior to registering for courses via Self-Service, all students must meet prerequisite course requirements and have their advising hold removed by an academic advisor. Students may pay their tuition and fees through Self-Service or in person at the Orange County Campus, or on main campus in the Admissions, Registration, and Records office in the Wynn Center (Building 10), or at the Cashier's Window in the White Building (Building 1) entrance foyer. Students receiving Veterans educational benefits must notify the Financial Aid and Veterans Services office of their intent to utilize benefits each semester prior to enrollment/registration. Detailed registration instructions are found in the Registration section of the website.

Course Placement

Durham Technical Community College accepts students’ college transcripts; unweighted high school GPA; and ACT, SAT, GED, HiSET, NCDAP, COMPASS, ASSET, and ACCUPLACER scores for college placement.

Students who have completed associate degrees or higher from an accredited college or university are college-ready and can take any gateway 100-level course on their plan of study.

Students who do not already hold an associate degree or higher must use their unweighted high school GPA for placement if they graduated from an accredited high school in the United States within the last 10 years. ACT, SAT, NCDAP, COMPASS, ASSET, and ACCUPLACER scores can be used for placement within ten years from the date taken.

Students who lack the appropriate high school GPA and who have ACT, SAT, GED, HiSET, NCDAP, COMPASS, ASSET, and ACCUPLACER scores that do not place them into college-level courses will be required to take the RISE Placement Test for placement into appropriate courses.

Specifically, only the following students are allowed to take the RISE placement test:

  • Students whose US high school GPA is less than 10 years old but it is not unweighted;
  • Students whose unweighted high school GPA is less than 10 years old but it is not from a US high school;
  • Students whose unweighted US high school GPA is older than 10 years old;
  • Students whose ACT, SAT, GED, HiSET, NCDAP, COMPASS, ASSET, or ACCUPLACER scores from the last 10 years do not place them into college-level courses;
  • Students who lack DMA or DRE credits; and
  • Students who are referred via the English for Academic Purposes or Career and College Promise (CCP) program.

If high school records or test scores are older than ten years, students must (re)take the placement test unless they have been continuously enrolled in classes. Continuously enrolled is defined as not missing more than two consecutive semesters of enrollment in classes. After being out of classes two consecutive semesters (not including summer term), students must reapply to the college and retest if scores are older than ten years.

Students are considered continuously enrolled if they register for and attend courses or prerequisites creditable toward a degree, diploma, or certificate. The student must attend credit coursework in a following semester after the initial enrollment semester (attendance is required in the following fall or spring semester or following spring or fall semester). Read more about continuous enrollment in the Admissions policy and procedure.

Noncredit courses or programs offered through the Continuing Education department may be considered towards continuous enrollment if approved by a department head (or designee) of the student’s intended curriculum program.

Students who visit the testing center are asked a series of questions regarding US English as their first language. Contingent on their responses, students may be required to take the Accuplacer ESL test to determine if English for Academic Purposes (EAP) placement is appropriate.

More information about test preparation, requesting/submitting test scores, and placement test schedules can be found in the Placement Testing section of the website.