RSVP Volunteer Opportunities and Forms
Community Financial Support:
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program, VITA: We are working hard to get ready for the tax season. RSVP offers Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, VITA, services at sites around Durham. We are seeking volunteers to serve in the following roles listed below. Training is provided. Contact RSVP for additional information.
- Intake Coordinator/Greeter: Guide taxpayers through filling out intake forms at the sites.
- Tax Preparers: Provide tax preparation for community members.
- StepUp Durham: StepUp Durham offers free employment readiness training, personalized job coaching, employer referrals, and supportive services to job seekers. At this time they are seeking volunteers for administrative support and to serve as mock interviewers and special speakers.
- The Intergenerational Leadership Institute, ILI: ILI is a certificate training program offered for those interested in expanding their leadership role as an incubator for creative intergenerational programming. Components include an investigative short course, monthly seminars, and professional development opportunities. The next Short Course starts September 19, 2019.
- Durham Public Schools: Durham Public Schools is seeking tutors and other student support for the upcoming school year.
Connect Community Members with Healthy Foods:
- Meals-On-Wheels of Durham, Inc.: Deliver a noon meal to community members who have difficulty getting out. Drivers use their own vehicles to deliver hot meals to clients. Those interested are requested to drive once per week, Monday – Friday arriving between 10–10:30 a.m. to deliver and allowing one-and-a-half hours to complete the route. You can also sign up with a friend to volunteer together or to share the route.
- Durham Tech Campus Harvest Food Pantry: Share your green thumb by volunteering to plant, grow, and harvest produce at the Briggs Community Garden for the Campus Harvest Food Pantry. The Pantry provides healthy food options as a vital service for students at Durham Tech. Whether at your own house or serving alongside Durham Tech student volunteers at the Briggs Community Garden, your cultivation of fresh produce for food pantry patrons will be greatly appreciated!
- Urban Community AgriNomics (UCAN): Help UCAN increase access to healthy nutritious food, education, and wellness at the Catawba Trail Farm Community Garden. Volunteer opportunities are available every Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon. This organization needs volunteers to take workday registrations, spread mulch, operate wood cutting tools, assist with solar well system, and freely use your skills and experiences in helping reclaim an old farmstead, either on or off site.
- Farmer FoodShare: The Food Ambassadors Program provides fresh food education to elementary school children who are receiving fresh, local produce through Farmer Foodshare’s partnership with the public school system. Fresh food tastings take place in elementary school cafeterias, and volunteers can participate in these tastings by distributing food samples, providing basic educational information, building enthusiasm, distributing prizes, and gathering feedback from kids in the cafeteria.