Admission Steps for Students Without Documentation

Please note that due to Coronovirus (COVID-19), all Durham Tech campuses have been closed and we can only accept foreign educational documents and immigration documents submitted through the CGL Secure Electronic Document Submission System or mailed to International Student Services/Center for the Global Learner at Durham Tech (1637 E. Lawson St, Durham, NC 27703). Placement testing and advising are also available via virtual means. Email if you have questions.

Durham Tech Admissions Policy for Undocumented Applicants follows the guidelines per the State Board of Community Colleges Code “23 SBCCC 02C .0301 Admission to Colleges” effective June 1, 2012.

Durham Tech can admit undocumented applicants only if they graduated from a US public high school, private high school or home school that operates in compliance with State or local law. (Applicants with a US GED or who have completed high school or college abroad will not be admitted.)

Durham Tech will not classify any undocumented applicants as NC residents for tuition purposes, and so all applicants will be charged tuition at the out-of-state rate.

Students lawfully present in the US will have priority for registration; therefore, undocumented students will not be able to register for classes until after late registration. (right before classes begin)

admissions-step-1.gif Complete an Enrollment Application

admissions-step-2.gif Submit Proof of Completion of a Degree (It must be from the US)

  • Official US high school transcript/diploma showing graduation

  • For transfer credit for college courses taken in the U.S., submit an official transcript to Student Information and Records (Building 10, room 10-201).

admissions-step-3.gif Sign up and Attend a ConnectSession (New Student Orientation)

admissions-step-4.gif Take Placement Tests (English, Math, Computer, and English Speaking, if needed)

  • If you have adequate AP, SAT, or ACT scores or college level English taken in the US, you may not need to take tests.

  • Talk to an advisor to see if you need any placement testing. Some recent US high school graduates do not need to take tests.

  • All students who need English testing must take the Accuplacer ESL test (reading, language use, sentence meaning, and listening).

  • After English testing, meet with an EFL Advisor in the CGL for an evaluation of your test scores. EFL classes may be required.

  • Health Technologies program applicants should consult with a Health Tech advisor to go over additional testing requirements.

  • Testing is in Wynn Center (Building 10), room 10-300. Bring a photo ID and your student ID number. Schedules and prep materials are online.

admissions-step-5.gifMeet with an Advisor and Register for Courses on your Specified Registration Date

  • If you placed into EFL through placement testing – an EFL Advisor will register you for classes on your specified registration date.

  • If you placed out of EFL - you may need additional testing before you meet with an Academic Advisor (Wynn Center (Building 10), room 10-200).

  • If you did not need English placement testing due to AP, SAT, or ACT scores or college English credit, meet with an Academic Advisor on your specified registration date (usually one business day before the start of classes).

    Visit the Advising Services Office on Main Campus or at the Orange County Campus. View locations and hours.

admissions-step-6.gifPay for Courses - If you do not pay by your registration deadline, your courses will be dropped.


For appointments or questions, call the Center for the Global Learner at 919-536-7264, ext. 3228 or email