The Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider course uses the curriculum developed by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. It is designed for persons with little or no riding experience; however, participants must be able to ride a bicycle.
Supplies needed include eye protection eyeglasses, sunglasses, goggles, or face shield; full-fingered gloves; over-the-ankle boots; long pants; long-sleeved shirt or jacket; and a N.C. Department of Transportation-approved helmet (some are provided). Please bring earbuds, or earphones to plug into the computers for the Friday night class. Motorcycles are provided. (Because this course is self-supporting, no tuition waivers or exemptions are allowed.) 22 hours. $199. The registration deadline for each class is the Wednesday before the class begins.
Please include a current email address when you register, and check your email for important class information around the week the class is scheduled.
On Saturday and Sunday, arrive at the motorcycles with all of your gear a minimum of 15 minutes prior to riding. Be ready to ride at the appointed time.
Gear (minimum requirements)
- DOT Approved Helmet – we have helmuts for your use if needed
- Eye protection - face shield, goggles or glasses
- Long sleeve shirt; dress in layers if possible
- Long pants - sturdy denim is good; no flared bottoms or super baggy
- Over the ankle shoes. MUST COMPLETELY COVER THE ANKLE BONE. (Chunky shoes make shifting difficult)
- Full-fingered gloves (does not have to be motorcycle gloves but cannot be rubber gloves)
- Sunglasses (optional)
Nice to know:
- Lunch is on your own. Bring it with you, or go out.
- No set duration for lunch - varies between 45 minutes and one hour.
- Bring water - freeze a bottle or two. they stay cooler on warm days
- Drink two glasses of water each night to help hydrate your body.
- Folding chair - nice for breaks and lunch time.
- Wear sunscreen - lips also.
- Bring snacks.
- Generally range riding each morning and classroom each afternoon.
Need to know:
- Bring workbook to class with you on Saturday and Sunday.
- Class may run past scheduled time. Be flexible.
- To complete the course, you must arrive on time for each session.
- You will be tired and sore - refrain from any late night activities.