Natural Hair Care Specialist Continuing Education
Submit official transcripts and/or test scores at registration if you:
- Graduated from a US high school less than 10 years ago with a minimum 2.8 GPA, or
- Took the ACT or SAT less than 10 years ago, or
- Took the GED since 2014 and scored 170 or higher on all four GED test subjects, or
- Took the HiSET and scored a 15 on all five HiSET subtests and a 4 on the essay.
Students who do not have recent high school transcripts or test scores must take the RISE placement test. Students who have been out of school longer than 10 years, must score 75 percent on the Tier 1 reading portion of the RISE placement test. View test prep materials and testing schedules and locations. Students require a student ID number.
Note: Since prerequisite documentation is required at the time of registration, online registration is not available. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis based on having all the prerequisite documentation at the time of registration.
This course is offered in the fall.
This is a two-part course. The $1926.50 cost of the program is broken down into two payments:
- The first payment of $1,207.25 is due at the time of program registration and includes tuition, a kit, and books.
- The second payment of $719.25 is due at the time of registration for the second half of the program.
A new course offering for fall! Check back for the Natural Hair Care Specialist Instructor Training course (prerequisite: NC Licensed Natural Hair Care Specialist).
If you have questions, email Maria Steele.
The Durham Tech Cosmetology/Natural Hair Care Clinic opens to the public to provide hair, nail, and makeup services at reduced prices. The clinic is staffed by Durham Tech students, and students complete 100 percent of the work.