Advantages of renting at Durham Tech
- You'll pay, on average, less than half for the rented copy as you would for the new copy.
- You'll have access to one of the largest in-store and online rental programs in the country.
- You can still highlight and take notes in the books.
- There's free return shipping if you rent online as a registered user.
- You may be able to use your financial aid. Call the Financial Aid office at 919-536-7209, ext 1503 for more information.
How to rent textbooks
- Visit bkstr.com/durhamtechnicalccstore/.
- Go to Textbooks & Course Materials under Books in the top menu.
- Select your program, semester, and department. After you find your department, a course menu will appear. Find your course and then your section, if applicable, and click Submit.
- Select the rental items you need, and add them to your shopping cart.
- You can then either choose to Select another course or Go to Cart by using the buttons under the Required Materials section.
You can checkout either as a guest or with an account. Note that certain options will not be available to you later on, like extending or purchasing a rental, if you checkout as a guest versus with your own account.
During checkout, you will be prompted to provide rental collateral and sign the rental agreement. Completing the rental agreement signifies your commitment to returning your rental book back by the check-in date.
Changing your rental order
You will need an account to extend or purchase your rental.
Extending, purchasing your rental
- Visit bkstr.com/durhamtechnicalccstore/, and sign in.
- Go to My Account for your Order History. Click the title you want and then the Select box.
- Check the Extend or Purchase box, and review the Quantity Open box.
- If buying the title: Enter the amount of books you want to buy in the Quantity to Buy box, and then proceed to the next step.
- If extending your rental: Select the term you want to the extend the book until, and enter the amount in the Quantity to Extend box.
- Click the Process Order button and then the Checkout button to complete either process.
Those who purchase their rentals will receive a refund of the rental fee and then will be charged the regular retail price based on whether the book was new or used when it was purchased.
When you drop a class
You can return the book and receive a refund of the rental cost during the normal refund period. The bookstore's refund policy will apply. The book will need to be in the same condition as it was when it was rented, and you'll need a copy of your receipt or the packing slip.
Return all rented books to the bookstore by the return date on your receipt or packing slip, if you ordered online. You should have enough time to use your books through final exams. You will receive reminder emails at the end of term to help you remember to bring back your rented books.
Return rentals after the due date
If you don't return your books by your return date, your credit card will be charged a non-return fee as well as a processing fee, and you will then own the book. You can either then keep the book or sell your book back pursuant to the book buyback policies of the bookstore. Call 919-536-7201, ext. 1034 for more information on the bookstore's buyback policies.
More information on renting textbooks can be found at bkstr.com/durhamtechnicalccstore/ under the Books menu option in the top toolbar.