Construction notice: Several parking lots will be repaved on Main Campus beginning Monday, July 12. Please use lots D and F for parking.
Resources for Students with Children
Being a student while parenting was hard enough before the COVID-19 pandemic! Durham Tech is here to support you and your families with resources on campus and in the community.
Feeling overwhelmed? Make an appointment for one-on-one support accessing resources.
Student Parent Success Network
Open to all students who are parenting
Being a student while parenting was hard enough before the COVID-19 pandemic! Join this group to stay connected to fellow student parents and:
- Connect to resources to help manage the struggles of parenting during the pandemic, including educational tools for you and your kids, resources to keep your kids busy at home, and essentials to keep your family healthy
- Stay in the loop about parent-specific resources on campus and in the community
- Access a parent-specific Sakai site with detailed resources, message boards, and more
- Be invited to participate in virtual group meetings with your fellow student parents to vent, share strategies, and support each other
Single Parent Program
For students who need assistance paying for childcare
Assists Durham Tech students who are single parents in earning their degree, diploma, or certificate by offsetting some of their childcare expenses. Students choose their childcare providers and the providers are paid directly each month.
FNS Employment & Training Program
For current and prospective students who qualify for FNS (Food Stamps)
Provides funding for tuition in a Durham Tech credential, diploma, or degree program, along with career counseling and success coaching. Students in Orange County have access to supplemental funding to assist with other living expenses while attending school.
Additional Campus Resources
For a more comprehensive resource database, join the Student Parent Success Network to access a Sakai site built specifically for student parents.
Finding Child Care
- Child Development Search Site: Visit the NC Division of Health and Human Services and use their online tool to find child care in your area.
- Child Care Referral Search: Child Care Services Association will conduct a referral search through the Child Care Referral Center. Search online, or call 855-327-5933 or email email@example.com to connect with a child care counselor.
- Choosing Quality Child Care: Resources from Child Care Aware to help in your process of choosing the right care provider for your child.
- Find Childcare NC is assisting parents to find childcare in North Carolina for ages 0-12. Call 888-600-1685 to speak with a referral specialist.
- Emergency Backup Child Care
- Head Start Program: Find local Head Start Programs and apply.
Paying for Child Care
- Child Care Financial Assistance in NC: NC Division of Health and Human Services guide.
- Paying for Child Care: Learn about Child Care Subsidy Assistance, Scholarships, and more from the Child Care Services Association.
- Childcare Assistance for Military Families