Policy/Operational Procedure Name:
Finance and Administrative Services
January 1, 2017; February 1, 2018 (Revision)
Next Review Date:
Pursuant to the NC State Office of State Budget and Management (OSBM)’s travel policy, Durham Technical Community College’s (Durham Tech’s) priority method of vehicle travel for College-related activities such as conferences, conventions, workshops, and seminars is as follows:
Rental vehicle through the state contract option (for trips in excess of 100 miles roundtrip)
In accordance with this priority method, Durham Tech employees must check vehicle availability utilizing the Outlook-based vehicle reservation system. For assistance, contact Dorothy Holman (ext. 1008) or Yolanda Moore-Jones (ext. 1004) in Purchasing and Auxiliary Services.
Vehicle Pick-Up and Return
- Employees with a reservation for pick-up between 8 – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday should pick up the keys, mileage log, and gas card from the Business Office (White (Building 1), room 1-159, Main Campus).
- Employees returning a vehicle between 8 – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday should return the keys, mileage log book, and gas card to the Business Office.
- Employees with a reservation for pick-up before 8 a.m. Monday – Friday should pick up the keys, mileage log book, and gas card from Campus Police and Public Safety (Building 8, Main Campus).
- Employees returning a vehicle after 5 p.m. Monday-Friday should return the keys, mileage log book and gas card to Campus Police and Public Safety (Building 8, Main Campus).
- Employees picking up or returning a vehicle on the weekend should go to Campus Police and Public Safety to pick up or return the keys, mileage log book, and gas card.
- Employees who experience a campus vehicle emergency should contact Campus Police and Public Safety at 919-536-7200, ext. 5555. For more information about vehicle emergency procedures, employees should refer to the front of the mileage log book.
If a College vehicle is not available, employees must use a rental car through the state contract option if the trip is in excess of 100 miles roundtrip. To reserve a rental car, employees must contact the Business Office for instructions and details.
If an employee drives his or her personal vehicle instead of using a College vehicle or rental car, he or she will be reimbursed at a rate of 17 cents/mile for all mileage. If a College vehicle is not available, and the trip is less than 100 miles roundtrip, the employee will be reimbursed at a rate of 53.5 cents/mile for the first 100 miles roundtrip; any mileage over 100 miles roundtrip will be reimbursed at a rate of 17 cents/mile. Note: This does not apply to local travel within Durham and Orange counties.
To qualify for these reimbursement rates, employees unable to reserve a College or rental vehicle must attach the following documentation to their Travel Request, Advance, and Reimbursement form:
A copy of the Motor Vehicle Usage form from Purchasing and Auxiliary Services with an attestation that no College vehicle was available; and
A screen shot from the rental car website stating that no vehicle was available.
For travel under 100 miles roundtrip, the reimbursement rate will be 17 cents/mile if the employee’s Use of College Vehicle form is not attached to his or her Travel Request, Advance, and Reimbursement form.
For travel over 100 miles roundtrip, the reimbursement rate will be 17 cents/mile if the employee does not attach either of the required documents to his or her Travel Request, Advance, and Reimbursement form.
If an employee’s travel is longer than one day, he or she will be reimbursed 53.5 cents/mile for 100 miles roundtrip, and 17 cents/miles thereafter. Thus, for a three-day trip, the employee will be reimbursed 53.5 cents/mile up to 100 miles roundtrip; any mileage over 100 miles roundtrip will be reimbursed at 17 cents/mile. For example, if the three-day trip is a total of 300 miles, the employee would be reimbursed at a rate of 53.5 cents/mile for the first 100 miles roundtrip and 17 cents/mile for the remaining 200 miles roundtrip.
The Business Office will adjust mileage reimbursement requests as necessary to comply with these rules. Any exceptions must be approved by the Vice President, Finance and Administrative Services or his or her designee.
Employees who have questions or need clarification on this procedure should contact the Business Office prior to their trip.