Keep Learning

We understand that this is an unusual, uncertain time and we are here to support you as much as we can. We want you to keep learning and striving towards your educational goals.

If you have questions, please email for assistance.

Updates for spring semester

2021 Spring Guidelines for College Operation

On Monday, January 4, the College moved to the 2021 Spring Guidelines: Phase 3.0

The COVID-19 Campus Exposure Procedure outlines what to do if you have been exposed, show symptoms, or test positive for COVID-19. 

Are students and employees required to wear face coverings on campuses?

Yes. Face masks/coverings must be worn by all individuals while on campus, both indoors or outdoors. The face covering must cover your nose and mouth and be secured under the chin. If you are working in an office or workspace and you are alone, you may remove your mask. Once another person enters the space, facial coverings are required.

The face shield is designed to provide eye protection, and individuals may choose to wear a shield in addition to a face mask or covering. Using both is acceptable. Using only the face shield is not acceptable.

Students who have difficulty wearing a face mask due to a medical condition should contact Accessibility Services for assistance.

What if I'm at increased risk for severe illness?

The College is working to create safe learning options for students, including those who are identified as increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19, by the CDC. The College will offer these students an opportunity to explore remote learning options, or other alternatives, if they cannot resume seated classroom instruction without increased risk to themselves or an immediate member of their household. If the student is not enrolled in any seated, hybrid, blended courses in the applicable term, there is no need to complete this form.

If you or a member of your household identifies as high-risk and you would like to request a remote learning option, we have a process to review and make decisions on those requests. The attestation form and any supporting documentation should be submitted at least 5 working days prior to the desired start of the applicable remote learning option, or as soon as the student (or their immediate household member) is determined to be high risk. The portal, which will allow you to submit the attestation form and any supporting documentation, can be found at

Please feel free to email with any questions or concerns regarding the above information.

What do I do if I have COVID-19 symptoms or test positive?

Notify your instructor and complete the Contact Tracing form. View the COVID-19 Campus Exposure Procedure and the Reporting COVID-19 Cases web page to learn about College protocol for testing, exposure, and notifications.

My program requires clinical, work-based learning, fieldwork, and/or hands-on instruction to complete the classes. How are these components being handled?

We understand that hands-on training is a major component for several classes. Although more than 80 percent of credit courses will be online this fall, faculty and academic leadership have worked hard to find safe and accessible strategies to hold limited classes on our campuses. These offerings are lab-based and practical technical training courses including biology, chemistry, health tech, skilled trades, and public safety.

Off-campus learning, including clinical, work-based learning, and fieldwork, may still take place should the partner organization be accepting students or if work can be simulated in an alternative format.

In the 2021 Spring Guidelines: Phase 3.0, students who are enrolled in a hybrid or seated course that meets on campus may access the campus where the course is scheduled, during the specific times that the class meets on campus, in the specific location for the class, and a reasonable amount of time before or after the class. Students enrolled in these courses should not visit campus at other times unless specifically requested by the instructor.

How can I get a Student ID or Parking Pass?

The College has developed an online request form for students to request a student ID and/or a parking decal. As a part of Durham Tech's COVID-19 response plan, students may receive a Student ID or Parking Permit by appointment to minimize student volume inside the Campus Police and Public Safety (CPPS) department. A CPPS representative will reach out to the student after the form has been submitted to coordinate appointment times. Visit the ID Cards and Parking Permits web page for more details.

Health and Wellness

Why and where to get a flu shot

Getting the flu vaccine every year is the best way to prevent infection with influenza, a virus that can cause many of the same symptoms as COVID-19. Particularly during the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s even more important to be vaccinated against the flu to help prevent influenza, avoid a mistaken diagnosis of COVID-19, and preserve healthcare resources.

Receive the flu shot from your personal physician or local CVS, Walgreen’s, Harris Teeter, or Target, etc. Students who do not have a health plan can visit the following locations to receive a flu shot:

I'm feeling overwhelmed. Is there anyone I can talk to?

Meet with a Durham Tech counselor via phone call or video chat. In addition to providing referrals to appropriate community resources, counselors will be available to assist you with your needs 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. If you need counseling support, please send an email from your ConnectMail account to Karen Mosley, Coordinator of Counseling Services. Once your email is received, a member of our counseling staff will contact you to discuss how we may be able to support you during this time.

Under the Student Assistance Program (SAP) the College offers a Student Wellness Line  that provides free, confidential, short-term counseling and personal consultation for personal, professional, or school concerns, available 24 hours a day.

View community resources on the Counseling Services web page.


What if I don’t have access to a computer or internet at home?

Durham Tech staff are working to assist students who are struggling to access computers and internet services while the campus is closed. View options for purchasing low cost computers and internet service or request assistance if you are unable to purchase a computer.

Email Maggie West if you have questions.

Do you have any suggestions for improving online learning?

Digital Literacy Tutoring: The Center for Academic Excellence is offering tutoring in basic computer skills. To schedule an appointment, email or call/text 919-694-7084.

Join Surviving Online Learning Environments (S.O.L.E.), a Durham Tech student interest group that meets virtually to share and discuss tips and strategies for succeeding and excelling in their online classes. Through the content in S.O.L.E., students will feel confident and ready to 'step' into online success!

Contact: Deidre Yancey and Del Williams or sign up online.

What if I need access to the Durham Tech library to complete an assignment?

Many library resources are available online. If you need assistance accessing these resources, email the Library with your questions or chat with a Durham Tech Librarian Monday - Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. Evening and weekend online chat assistance is also available.

The Main Campus and OCC libraries are also open to a limited number of students by appointment. Make an appointment by emailing or calling 919-536-7211. View the hours on the Library web page.

To search for articles and ebooks, use your ConnectMail username and password to log in to the Off Campus Databases web portal or begin your search with one of the library’s databases. Also, see the Library’s collection of 83 Research Guides for a variety of courses and programs.

You may access streaming video through Films on Demand, and then look for “Films on Demand,” “Films on Demand: Allied Health,” and “Films on Demand: World Cinema.” The three collections include a large general collection with nearly 44,000 films and clips for many subjects.

For more, visit the Library section of the website.

I need tutoring in a particular area. How can I seek a tutor’s help?

CAE tutors are available to you online via Zoom. View the online hours by subject. We may not be on campus, but we still want to assist you with your online courses. Call 919-694-7084 or email to make an appointment. 

In your email or voicemail, please include your name, phone number, the subject for which you need tutoring, and the days and times you are available. You may also request tutoring using the online request form. Please fill out the information as completely as you can so we can pair you with an appropriate tutor.

Access Upswing by using the same username and password that you use for Self-Service. Once logged in, use the search box at the top of the Upswing Virtual Learning Platform to search for a tutor in your desired subject. If you have any questions on how to navigate through Upswing, call us at 919-694-7084, or email

Basic Computer Skills Assistance

Have you received/purchased a laptop for your online classes but need help setting it up? Does the thought of submitting online assignments make you nervous? Do you find yourself wondering where you saved your documents on your computer? If you need help with basic computer skills, we will be happy to help! View the online schedule or contact the CAE at 919-694-7084, or email

How do I stay connected to classmates, friends, and instructors?

Whether it's exploring resources, discussing classwork, or sharing new experiences with your online community, our new Student Interest Groups make it easy to develop relationships.


I need to register and be advised. Will I still be able to do so, and when?

View the registration section for more information about registration, payment deadlines, and drop, withdrawal, and refund deadlines.

To see who to contact for advising, please visit the Advising Services page.

How do I take placement tests?

RISE for Curriculum and Accuplacer ESL tests are offered online. Learn more and sign up for placement testing.

What if I need to withdraw from a course because of COVID?

The College's normal withdrawal procedure and deadlines will be used. If a student experiences medical issues related to COVID after the withdrawal deadline for a course, please refer that student to consider a Medical Withdrawal

Tuition and Fees

Will tuition and fees change for spring credit courses?

No. The College has received official notice from the North Carolina Community College System Office that there will be no increase in tuition for the 2020 – 2021 Academic Year. There are also no changes to the College’s general student fees, which remain at the same level as this past year. Student fees are calculated on a sliding scale, based on the number of credit hours in which a student is enrolled. Take a look at the Tuition and Fees Chart on our website for a more detailed breakdown.

What do student fees support?

While the College has moved most courses online, college services continue to be offered remotely. Check the website, your Connectmail account, and the college social media posts for information about student activities and support services available to you. In particular, check the college social media accounts for activities designed for students and their families.

Financial Aid

Will my financial aid be affected if I stop attending or withdraw from classes?

It is important for students receiving Financial Aid benefits to continue in their courses. If a student stops attending or withdraws from courses, they must have their benefits reassessed. If you are not able to continue in your classes and have received financial aid for the semester, contact your Financial Aid adviser to discuss your particular situation. Visit the Financial Aid section of the website to find a list of Financial Aid advisers. Review the Financial Aid FAQs for answers to other frequently asked questions.

What are the disbursement dates of my financial aid award funds?

Summer funds will be disbursed on two dates depending on when all required financial aid paperwork is accurately submitted to the Financial Aid Office. View the Award Refunds web page for the summer deadline and disbursement dates. Fall dates will be listed there as soon as they are available.

I'm struggling financially. Can you provide assistance?

The COVID-19 crisis has caused financial struggles for countless families. Know that you are not alone, and that the team at Durham Tech is here to support you and your family during this challenging time.

Students who need emergency financial assistance may look to the Emergency Financial Assistance Program or the Finish Line Grant. View more information about these programs.

Virtual financial coaching is available by appointment. Schedule a one-on-one appointment online or email Larry Chapman. View examples of how financial coaching can assist you with.

Food assistance is available through the Campus Harvest Food Pantry and community resources. Learn more about curbside grocery pick-up and other food assistance.

In addition to this page, we have a Virtual Student Resources Center offering links to student support services.

Additional questions

In addition to this page, we have a Virtual Student Resources Center offering links to student support services.